Anyway, let me back up. Last year, for the Spring Etsy Team sale, I made an exploding box with a paper rose as the centerpiece. I never got a picture of it because I made it at the last minute, and ended up selling it at the sale. I always wanted to do more, but my method of making those paper roses was a bit of a pain. I used a large flower punch that I had to cut sections out of and use several layers to create a 3-D flower. I had seen that Sizzix and Spellbinders both had 3-D rose dies, and I finally decided to break down and get the Sizzix one. Unfortunately, when I got it home, I found that the roses that it makes are tiny- much smaller than I had originally thought. The largest size is maybe the size of a quarter in diameter, the smaller size is more like a nickel. So I ended up getting the Spellbinder die, because that one is a bit larger. But once I made some of those smaller roses, I started thinking of ways I could use them, and that's when I came up with the flower garden idea. I have lots of other flower punches and dies, so figured I have a variety of flower types I could use. And then there was this idea: floating butterflies. I cannot take credit for this idea at all, because I shamelessly stole it from my BFF Kendra. Last year, she made an exploding box and used some thin strips of clear acetate to have "floating" objects in it. I was thinking it was the graduation box for her nephew, but when I went back to look at the pictures she sent me, that wasn't it, so now I'm not sure which one it was. In any case, I thought that was a very cool idea, and when I started thinking about a flower garden exploding box, the thought came to me to use that same floating object idea with butterflies. I was able to find a roll of acetate at work, and "borrowed" some for my experiment.
So, here is the lid:
This embossing folder is really cool- the craft store where I bought it had some sample cards that had been made with it, and I liked that you can emboss it with either side. I actually used both here- in this picture the top and bottom panels have just the edges of the flowers raised, while the left and right panels have the petals themselves raised, and the edges depressed. The middle layer is embellished with some flowers that I cut out with punches and used jewels for the centers. The inside layer has the same paper that is on the outside. Then, there is the center.
Anyway, I like it, and I hope to do more with this concept! I have more ideas for color schemes and designs, so it will be fun to see if they look as good outside of my head as they do inside it!