Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fall Challenge Card

Well, the bad news is that our new computer is STILL dead- looks like a defective motherboard now.  Worse, they are on backorder, so there is no replacement to be had at this point in time.  So I don't know when I will have my computer back and working. :(  The good, or if not good, at least luke-warm, news is that I did figure out how to get photos onto my son's mini-laptop that we've been using for email and whatnot, so I can take some basic pictures- I just can't edit them.  So I am still unable to do anything with pictures for my Etsy shop....but I can still put them up here!

The weekly challenge this week at PBS Swappers is to make a card with a gift card pocket or holder of some kind.  Well, I cheated a little bit.  I kind of used that same concept, but applied it to a bookmark, rather than a gift card.  It's something I've been wanting to try for some time anyway, and since I have a brand spaking new bookmark to show off, what a great opportunity to give it a try!


I had a lot of fun picking colors and paper for this card!  You'll recognize the bookmark from my last post, and as you can see, I used the one with the copper border.  These leaves have such a great mix of colors, from green to a goldy-brown to the deep red, and I tried to bring them all out in this card.  The design is pretty simple- just strips of paper adhered horizontally to the card base.  I made my own picture corners with matching paper to hold the bookmark to the card  It held up ok for the picture, but later the corners kept coming loose.  I guess my double-sided tape is not strong enough to hold them down when the bookmark is in them, so I will have to find a stronger adhesive for future projects of this kind.  The letters that spell out "FALL" are just alphabet stickers in metallic gold, which I stuck to rectangles I cut out of off-white card stock with rounded corners, and backed with coordinating borders that I made out of the same paper as on the card.

I will be working on some more fall leaf bookmarks this weekend, and am excited to do so because I have collected and pressed/dried some more leaves, different kinds than the ones above, and can't wait to create with them!  The leaves are starting to change color really quickly now, so opportunities for new material are multiplying daily!  I'm especially on the lookout for yellow and oranges, since what I have so far are in the red/burgandy family.  Hmmm, might be that a trip to the park is on the agenda for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment