Thursday, September 23, 2010

Something Special in the Works!

Well, the bad news first.  Still no computer at home.  It looks like a problem with the video card, so a new one is on order and I'm hoping it will be fixed early next week.  So I am posting this from my work computer- shhhhhh, don't tell on me!  Well, I AM entitled to breaks.  So today, I am foregoing my morning cup of green tea in favor of sharing something special with you.

First, let me refer you to this post- my very first post on this blog.  This is where I shared what inspired me first to begin making my bookmarks.  It was  not quite a year ago now.   In some ways I can't believe it has been that long, and in others, it seems like forever ago!  Anyway, this has been a special week for me because I finally was able to see my original vision become concrete.


I am so excited to use my own dried, pressed fall leaves!  I have been scoping out trees in my neighborhood and near my office and watching for them to start turning colors and falling so that I can start collecting them for my crafting projects.  These particular leaves came from a tree in my neighborhood, and I have to come clean here.  I couldn't wait for them to fall off of the tree.  I've been looking at that tree several times a week, every time I take the dog out for a walk, and the leaves keep getting more and more vividly colored- but the darned things are hanging on for dear life!  So, apologies to whoever my neighbor is who owns this tree, but yes, I took them right off the tree.  Honest, there were lots left.  You wouldn't even know any were gone.  I don't think they'll miss them.  I still feel just a little guilty.

Anyway, I really like how these came out.  I dried and pressed these with my MicroFleur, which I just love because it is so fast and easy.  I was able to make three bookmarks with what I collected the other night.  I love how the leaves are not quite done changing colors- there are still tinges of green on them, which you can see in the close up.  I look forward to trying some with some nice vivid reds, oranges and yellows, which will probably take another few weeks to find.  And I'll try not to steal them.  Once they're on the sidewalk, they're fair game, right?

Here's one of the other ones.  This one uses a copper metallic border instead of the red:

I'm not sure which I like better.  Both look good with the gold on the inner border.  Unfortunately I only have a little bit of that copper paper left and don't know where to find more of it.  But, hey- no better excuse to go shopping for more paper, and I'm not complaining about that!

I plan to get at least one of these listed in my Etsy shop whenever I have a functional computer at home, which I hope will be soon.  In the meantime, I'm still looking for leaves so that I can build up my inventory.  Stay tuned for more additions!

No comments:

Post a Comment