Saturday, October 1, 2011

MojoMonday Sketch 208

I thought I would end the week with another sketch card, this time from MojoMonday .  I have been an admirer of this sketch blog for awhile now and have used their archived sketches for projects before, but I've never made one of the weekly sketch cards and submitted it to the blog.  Time to change that!

First, a warning....Kendra, if you are reading this before you receive something in the mail from me, look away now!!


Ok, now that she is gone, this is Kendra's birthday card.  Her birthday is next Saturday, and as I mentioned before, she is leaving for Hawaii that day, so I've been mulling over ideas for her card so that I could get it done and mailed to AZ before she leaves.  So, since I liked the design of the sketch, I used it for her birthday card.  I have also been itching to use a new sheet of washi paper I picked up a couple of weeks ago, and this was a great chance to use that as well!

First, here is the sketch:




I chose the square design for my card.  Here it is:

There were so many colors in this washi paper that I loved, it was hard to decide where to start!  Ultimately I chose a deep blue card base and layered it with metallic gold.  The teal frames around the washi paper are a bit darker shade than the teal in the washi paper, so it stands out more than it would have if I'd used the lighter shade that I initially thought I would.  The flower was cut on my Sizzix Big Shot with the Flower Layers Set #3 Sizzlits set.  I used a peach paper to coordinate with the floral pattern in the paper, and to further coordinate, I inked the edges with gold stamp ink. I thought about putting a ribbon on somewhere, but really didn't want to detract from the clean lines, which I kind of like.  I think the flower softenes it up sufficiently.  In hindsight. maybe I should have used that peach paper to frame the sentiment instead of the green, just to tie it together better...but oh well, maybe next time.


Tomorrow my daughter is having a friend over, and they are going to make birthday cards for one of their dance teachers, whose birthday is next week.  We went to Michael's today and she picked out some very pretty paper to use, so maybe I will post the results when she is done!  I also have another sketch I might work on tomorrow, the one posted yesterday at CardPatterns .  There are a few more birthdays in the family coming up, so maybe I will use it for a card for one of them.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment